Do you have files that you want to rename with the same name but don’t know how? Renaming one by one is something no one wants to do. You may never realize that Windows is providing a lot of ways to do so.
A lot of methods you can opt for batch renaming multiple files including third party software as well as Windows Explorer, Bulk Rename Utility, Command Prompt. There are endless possibilities to rename bulk files. Read this article and you would get the answer you wanted to know. It’s super easy and way too fast.
Rename Multiple Files using Windows Explorer
Windows Explorer is way quite a powerful tool for windows. Batch Rename files in the Windows Explorer is super easy and fast. This is same like rename the single file. This is what you do for renaming a single file.
Select the file you wanted to rename and then you right click on it or press F2 or maybe you choose the rename option from HOME menu. After that, you entered the new name of the file and then hit enter.
To rename multiple files using windows explorer, all you need to do is to repeat the process you follow to rename the single file but this time you need to add one more simple step.
- Go to the folder having the files you want to rename.
- Select a file then either use Tab button to select other files or you can use Shift key to select batch of files you wanted to rename. If you are renaming all the files in the folder, press Ctrl + A key to select all the files.
- After selecting the files you wanted to rename. You can rename the selected multiple files by Right click (if using a mouse) and choose rename option or you can hit F2 key to rename the selected multiple files. You can also rename the files from the Rename option in the Home Menu.
- Hit enter and click anywhere in the empty space. You are done with renaming the multiple files.
This is the easiest and most preferable method for renaming the Multiple files. There are other methods also. See how other methods work.
See Also: How to use Mac Mouse Pointer on Windows
Rename Multiple Files using Bulk Rename Utility
Most of us (including me) are not so comfortable with Command Prompt and PowerShell Commands. That’s why programmers make it easy for us to do various task including this one. Bulk Rename Utility is an application software which is helpful in renaming the multiple files at once. See how it works
- Open the file folder you wanted to rename.
- Select the files you wanted to change by using Tab or Shift. If you are renaming the files with the same name, use Ctrl + A key to select all.
- Look for the Option 3, that is, “Replace With”. That option will allow you to replace the old name with the new one. (See Picture)
- After doing that, Tap “Rename”. It’s DONE!!!
This is just one option, there are a lot of other option like you can add numbering, date. You can change the format of the file. Moreover, you can copy or Move the Renamed file to other location/Folder. More you would explore, more you would learn.
Rename Multiple Files using Advanced Renamer
This is an another option you can opt for renaming the bulk files. Advanced Renamer renames the file on the basis of commands, which are quite easy to understand. There are different tags like Image tag, MP3 tag, Geo Tagging tag, Video Tag. You can meta data of many files including Audio, video files. See how all this works.
- Add a file folder you wanted to rename.
- On the left-hand side, there is a column showing the tags. You can choose the desirable tag according to your content ( Audio, Video, Picture)’
- Under the tags option, there is a box having the preset including different commands. You can choose according to your requirement. The interface is quite friendly.
- In between, you can choose Batch Mode which determines the Mode, whether it is Rename mode, Copy Mode, Move Mode.
- After that, just enter the new name you wanted to change. Then click on, START BATCH. (See Pictures)
This is a great tool for the various tiny task which we do on daily basis. This tool makes it easy.
Rename Multiple Files using Command Prompt & PowerShell
If you are comfortable with command prompter and PowerShell, you can use this to change the name of the file. To rename the file name using Command Prompt, you can use this command
ren “picture (1).jpg” “Family Trip (1).jpg”
If you want to use PowerShell for renaming the file, you can use this syntax to rename the file. You can also make your own syntax for doing Rename task. You can use this syntax for rename the file
rename-item “old name.jpg” “new name.jpg”
If you have any other method, do share in the comment section and I would update this article. If, you have any problem or confusion, let me know, I will help you out.
So, that’s all folks. I hope, these methods helped you out. If you find this useful for you, then do share this with your friends on your social media. Afterall, sharing is caring.