If you don’t have a smart tv but you wanted those smart features on your TV, go ahead and get a Google Chromecast. Chromecast is one of the best media streaming devices that will turn your dumb tv, a smart tv. Using Google Chromecast, you can get access to the whole lot of apps on your normal LED tv including Amazon Prime Videos, Netflix, Youtube, Spotify & other media streaming apps & services. Watch Chromecast demo video.
You are here that means you already own a Chromecast or maybe you are planning to buy and just wanted to get some answers related to Kodi Chromecast. Here you will get all the answers to your query.
If you wanted to watch Kodi content on your tv or looking to install Kodi on Chromecast, let me tell you that there is no native way to get Kodi on Chromecast. But we have some tweaks that will stream the Kodi on Chromecast.
There are two ways to stream Kodi on Chromecast and we can also stream Kodi to Chromecast from Windows PC/laptop. So, without any further intro, let’s begin.
See Also: 6 Best VPN For Kodi
Kodi on Chromecast using Android
Streaming Kodi on Chromecast is not a big deal. You just need basic apps that will stream Kodi on Chromecast or say on Big TV. Just follow the steps and get Kodi on Chromecast:
2. After installing these 3 apps, you need to download a playercorefactory.xml file of just 4.2KB. In layman words, this tiny XML file will make the bridge between Kodi and casting app so that you can stream Kodi on Chromecast.
Suggestion: Download this XML file to Android smartphone. Open this blog post on your Android smartphone if you are on PC/laptop.
3. Now you need to open the ES File Explorer app. Here you need to turn on the Hidden Files Option. You can turn the option by going to 3 lines menu on top left corner > Settings > Display Settings > Show Hidden file.
4. Now open the Download folder where you have downloaded the XML file in step #2. You will find the download folder in Internal storage. If you have destined any other folder for downloading, go there and copy the XML file from there.
5. Now in the ES File Explorer, go to internal Storage > Android > Data > org.xbmc.kodi > Files > .kodi > userdata. Paste the XML file you just copied above.
6. It is almost done. Now, open Kodi and select anything you wanted to stream on Chromecast. Kodi will automatically open the Localcast interface where it would ask to play.
7. Make sure, Chromecast is turned on and is ready to use. The local cast app will show you the available Chromecast or other streaming devices. Choose the device and you will get the Kodi on Chromecast.
See Also: How to install Kodi on Amazon Firestick
So, that is the one way of streaming Kodi on Chromecast through Android smartphone. This is the best way to streaming Kodi on Chromecast as it just provides the streaming link to Chromecast and it does not play any content on the smartphone. You can place your Android smartphone aside while the video is being streamed on Chromecast.
Another way to get Kodi on Chromecast is the screen mirroring method. Fortunately, Google Chromecast has the inbuilt feature of Screen mirroring.
Kodi on Chromecast: Use Chromecast Screen Mirroring & Stream
The above-mentioned method to stream Kodi on Chromecast is the best way but due to some incompatibilities, some Android smartphones running on older Android version may face the problem while streaming Kodi content on Chromecast. If you are also facing any issue in streaming Kodi on Chromecast, you can follow another method. That method will also stream Kodi on Chromecast but in a different way.
You don’t need any additional app other than Kodi and Google Home App (for Chromecast). Just follow the steps and start streaming Kodi videos on Chromecast:
1. To stream Kodi on Chromecast through screen mirroring, open the Google Home App on Android. Make sure, Chromecast is already paired with Wifi and ready to use.
2. On the Google Home app, go to the menu and find Cast Screen/Audio. Just Tap on the Cast Screen option and select your Chromecast device.
3. By now, you android screen should be on the TV. Now all you need to open the Kodi and open the video you wanted to stream on Chromecast.
Anything that you will play on Android would be streamed on Chromecast. The thing that really bothers me is that the video plays on both the devices that are on the Android smartphone as well as on Chromecast because that is not streaming, we are doing screen mirroring. But, all over, it is a good way to stream Kodi on Chromecast.
If you are facing any issue in Screen Mirroring on Chromecast, Watch the Video on YouTube.
Kodi on Chromecast through PC
Kodi is a great app and the best thing is that it is available for Android, Windows, Mac, Linux, Raspberry Pi. So, if you are using Kodi on Windows machine, you can stream Kodi on Chromecast through PC. To stream Kodi on Chromecast using Windows PC/Laptop, you have to do just one thing.
See Also: How to install Covenant addon on Kodi
If you have updated Google Chrome (Version 64.0.3282.186 at the time of writing), you don’t need to do anything. The latest Google Chrome has an inbuilt feature that provides Screen Casting to PC/laptop on Chromecast.
To stream Kodi on Chromecast, go to Google Chrome options at top right corner (3 dots menu) and select Cast. A drop-down menu will appear where you will get 2 options. One is for Casting Tab and another one is of Cast Desktop.
You need to select Cast Desktop. Make sure Chromecast is already paired with Wifi and ready to use. After selecting the Cast Desktop, you will see the Chromecast name. Just select the Chromecast and you will see PC screen on Chromecast. Now, you need to open Kodi and select the video you wanted to stream on Chromecast.
You can now watch Kodi on Chromecast. Like Android screen mirroring, the video will be played on both PC as well as on Chromecast because that is Screen Mirroring not streaming.
Stream Kodi on Chromecast: Is it worth it?
See Also: Best Kodi Builds for Perfect Kodi Setup
So that is how you can stream Kodi on Chromecast. The first method of streaming Kodi on Chromecast is actually the best method but another 2 methods are Screen Mirroring methods not the streaming methods and that is why both the devices will play the video which unnecessarily drains the battery of the smartphone. Casting Kodi on Chromecast through PC is still good as it is very simple and easy to use.
If you are really into Kodi ecosystem, you can use these methods to stream Kodi on Chromecast. Using these methods, you can enjoy all the Kodi stuff on Chromecast.
Let me know if you are facing any issue while streaming Kodi on Chromecast in the comment section below.